"It can only be disgraceful for some Christians to snore, while other Christians are in peril."
- St. Thomas More 1478-1535
"No matter how much light a person has, unless he also has this heat of mercy stirring his soul and bringing forth works that are alive, he is only a dead stick and like a tree without life."
- St. John Fisher, Bishop 1469-1535
"The extermination of millions of unborn children, in the name of the fight against poverty, actually constitutes the destruction of the poorest of all human beings."
- Pope Benedict XVI, January 1, 2009, on Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God, and World Day of Peace
"The poorest of the poor is the unborn child. We must do all we can to help them. When you give, give from your substance, not your surplus."
- Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta to David Little, May 26, 1986, Rome, Papal Apartments (see picture on this site)
"Do not lose by saving, but gather in by giving. Give to the poor, and you give to yourself. You will not be allowed to keep what you have refused to give to others. If you hope for mercy, show mercy. If you look for kindness, show kindness. If you want to receive, give. If you ask for yourself what you deny to others, your asking is a mockery. Let this be the pattern for all souls when they practice mercy: show mercy to others in the same way, with the same generosity, with the same promptness, as you want others to show mercy to you."
- Saint Peter Chrysologus, (Golden Words) Doctor of the Church, Bishop of Revenna, Italy. 406-450